It’s that time of the year again…time for networking and job searches to begin as companies flock to campus for Industrial Roundtable 2013. This year, the Purdue Engineering Student Council promises the largest IR ever with over 350 companies present on Memorial Mall on September 17 and 18. For more information about the companies attending IR and a schedule of events, check out the PESC website.
I’ve collected a few tips on how to impress a company rep and land your dream internship, co-op, or job at IR. Read on to find out more!
1) Attend events to network with companies. Some great events to attend as a PSWE member are Day with Industry (Sept. 15, 11:30 am – 4 pm, PMU, more information here) and Networking Night (Sept. 16, 6 – 8 pm, PMU, more information here). Keep an eye out for other events sponsored by companies and clubs on campus in the coming weeks!
2) Go to the CCO for resume corrections and interview preparation. They are experts at making great first impressions. Find out more about the CCO and what they offer on their website. The CCO office is located in Young Hall Room 132.
3) Practice your elevator pitch to company reps including your name, year, major, what you are looking for, and your interests related to the company.
4) Do your research! Prepare questions to ask companies you’re interested in and make sure you have a general idea of what companies do BEFORE you talk to them.
DAY OF IR:
1) Get a name tag from the Student Tent. They will be color-coded by major to help recruiters identify you.
2) Dress in business casual attire that is appropriate for the weather. Keep in mind that IR booths are located in the grassy area of Memorial Mall, so heels may not be the best option.
3) Print extra resumes! You never know when you might want to talk to a company you overlooked before IR.
4) Don’t get discouraged! The connections and practice gained by just attending IR is valuable for the future.
Good luck at IR!
If you have any questions, comments, or additional tips, please comment below 🙂